Thursday, November 3, 2011

Shop Local This Holiday Season!



I was just over on one of my favorite sites and one that I have been a supporter of for quite some time: The 3/50 Project. If you aren't familiar with it, go ahead and check it out.
Here's a link:
The 3/50 Project

This is a national project that has garnered quite a lot of attention in the past few years. I remember the first time I happened upon their site a few years ago and how illuminating I felt their philosophy was. I still agree with the message and truly appreciate all their campaigns throughout the year, all designed to promote local independent businesses of all kinds.

How many businesses that you really liked have closed in the past two years? I can easily say that at least 5 different businesses that I supported regularly have closed in the past two years. Show your support whenever you can. It really is everyone's job to do so and not someone else's job. I can't tell you how many people I run across that tell me they wish they could support more local businesses but things are just too tight right now. Believe me, I get it. Times are tough for a lot of people. But if you read the message behind The 3/50 Project it really is very simple. No one is asking you to spend your life savings to keep a business going. Just support it regularly, even if you make a small purchase every now and then. Stores are not museums that will be there regardless of whether you visit or not. They require our support.

The consequences are great if we all decide not to show support. I know here in the town I am in, the consequences have already been great and more great businesses will have to close if everyone doesn't really start getting out and making that support happen. I hope everyone keeps this in mind this holiday season--I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment