Friday, February 25, 2011

An Artful Sunday...

This past Sunday, my assistant Reece and I attended the Buyers Market of American Craft. This is a show that happens twice a year and targets folks like us, who operate fine art and fine craft galleries. The artists who showcase their work are usually very top notch and the quality is great. It is always fun to walk around and stalk new items and new artists for the gallery. This time around, we targeted a few specific categories and got a ton of information for us to utilize throughout the year. In addition, we also have two new artists who will be joining us within the next two months. And more to follow...
One is Becky Hembly, whose beautiful candles are truly works of art. Her candles definitely meet the creative criteria I have going on in my brain, every time I view potential new Creative Genius items. Reece seemed really excited about these and I think they are a new and perfect addition to our unique collection of art and artists.











Another new addition are purses from Hardwear by Renee. These are the perfect fit for our clients. They are modern and contemporary with just a touch of an industrial feel. Love, love, love these! Renee came highly recommended from a few other gallery owners I have connected with over the years in different states and I have to say, I think these are a great recommendation.














These are too beautiful to look hand-crafted!



This was Reece's first Buyers Market and she took to it like a fish to water. She was a natural, going up to artists and communicating intelligently about what we were looking for and about their items. She really has paid attention over he past three+ years, even when I thought she wasn't. I had to remind myself that she is only twenty. Good job, Reece! I'm really proud of you!

As much as I love the Buyers Market, I think the most fun part of the day came afterwards, when we headed over to Liz Kinder's Pottery Studio to view some of her new and available works. The studio is my dream space for a studio or even to live in. It is an industrial building and she and her husband and kids used to live above the studio before moving recently. The only downside is the neighborhood which is not the greatest and made for some funny (but kind of creepy) stories that Liz shared with us. Liz is a hugely talented and creative potter and also has a really funny blog that I enjoy reading. Her pieces are collected by folks all over the country and she is right over the bridge in Philly. Plus, she is a great person and a pleasure to interact with, which made the studio visit even better. We got to choose from racks and racks of awesome pottery pieces from tea cups and bud vases to large bowls, vases and plates. Can you tell I am a huge Liz Kinder fan? If I had my way, my entire set of dishes would be those made by Liz Kinder and I would use them EVERY DAY. No lie...I'm a huge fan. Here's a little peek from our newest pieces from Liz...Way to kick off spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment